Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holidays - Homemade Crescent Rolls

Hello! By now you might have seen the commercial in which two adult brothers fight over the lone remaining Pillsbury crescent roll in the bread basket. Then their mom comes to the rescue with the cheery announcement that she has more rolls.

Well, sorry, Pillsbury, but last night I made these:

(actually, I made 40 rolls total). Once cooled, they went into the freezer and will be thawed out on Christmas Day to be served with the holiday dinner. If I was hosting the dinner myself instead of traveling across the state to attend it, I'd make the rolls the day of. 

The recipe is called Potato Refrigerator Dough and it's easy to find on the Internet - for example, here. This isn't the link I'd originally found, but I'm supplying this one because the write-up and photography are good. HOWEVER - I must add that her recipe calls for two packages of yeast, whereas the recipe I use calls for only one packet of yeast. A quick search of the Internet seems to show that most versions of this recipe do indicate only one package of yeast. I've never had trouble with my rolls not rising with using one package. 


There are many good things about this recipe - it's easy to mix up, keeps up to five days, and makes enough dough that you can do a lot with it. For example, my crescent rolls: after dividing the dough into quarters, I used two of the quarters - plus 1/2 of the third quarter (I know, that sounds weird as written, but I think you know what I mean)to make the rolls. This leaves me with enough dough left to make something else, though I'm not sure yet. I'm leaning toward trying some sort of coffeecake for Christmas Day breakfast, but we'll see. I have a few days to make up my mind. 

I should add that, like me, the woman whose link I've supplied got the recipe idea from a  Tightwad Gazette book. The author of that book attributed the recipe to an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

2 comments: