Thursday, July 11, 2013

Thrifty Acres - From Grandma's Attic Part 2

Hello! A few weeks ago I spied an ad for an estate sale in our local paper and the listing of "needlework and crafts" caught my eye. I never know what this phrase means in this type of ad, though - are someone's finished (or partially-finished) projects for sale, or are craft supplies being sold? And if it's craft supplies, hopefully it's stuff I like (felt, buttons, fabric) and not stuff I'd never use (plastic canvas, weird-looking doll heads).

The sale wasn't too far away, so I went to see for myself what was meant by "needlework and crafts". And to my joy, I learned that there were lots of craft magazines for sale, at a very reasonable 2/25c.

Yes, I know I showed off some older craft magazines in my previous post, but the temptation to buy more was too much to resist:

The above pile looks rather mundane, I admit, but here's another view:


The topmost magazine, which dates from 1970, is the only one with that particular title; the others are all McCall's Needlework or (later) McCall's Needlework and Crafts. And check out that date on that McCall's Needlework: Winter 1948-49. I don't typically see craft magazines that old, even at estate sales. 

Since there were a lot of craft magazines at this sale, I mostly stuck to the issues that had Christmas crafts; I figured these would be the most fun to look at. The issues I selected range in age from the one shown above to the early 1970's. I haven't read any of these magazines yet but am looking forward to doing so! 

Near the bookcases that held the magazines was a small room where craft supplies were on display. I didn't see much that I had to have, but I did pick up these:


Vintage trims for a quarter apiece. The Penney's rick rack package was of interest to me since I didn't know that Penney's had ever had a fabric department. But then again, my hometown didn't get a Penney's until I was in college, so I never spent much time in one as a kid. 

From doing a bit of Internet research, I learned that that particular Penney's logo was in use from 1963-1971, so the rick rack may date from that time period (I say "may date" because I don't know how quickly the logo was phased out). 

The other package is from the Trimtex brand, which has been around almost 100 years. Several years ago, Trimtex trims were manufactured in Williamsport, PA, and I happened to stumble upon the factory outlet store there during a visit. The store manager demonstrated the workings of a vintage rick rack machine; very cool! But shortly after that, the Trimtex factory closed, and so did their outlet store. 

I'm not sure if my bias trim package was made in Williamsport, though - on the back of the package, the rather bland-sounding Assembled Products Incorporated of Milford, CT is listed. (Newer Trimtex packages did show the Williamsport address). Don't know when Trimtex moved to Williamsport, but I sure was sorry when they moved out and closed that outlet store!

A few Christmas items were in the room with the craft supplies, so I got this:

There were only a few ornament hangers left in the box, which is okay by me since I don't need any more of those. I bought this for the graphics; paid a quarter for it. 

Also for a quarter was this set:

Judging from the design on the handles of these scoops, I'd guess they're from the 60's or 70's. You never know when today's cheapie plastic scoops will break, so I bought these to have ready when needed. 

That is all for my show-and-tell from the estate sale (I bought a few newer items as well). The youngish woman taking my money was a granddaughter of the woman whose things were being sold. I always feel a bit sad to meet the relatives connected to the estate at these sales, but she seemed to be taking the proceedings in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment