Saturday, July 6, 2013

Thrifty Acres - Freezer Pleaser (Flavored Water Tip)

Hello! On a hot, humid day like today it's good to stay hydrated. Water can be boring on its own, but it's easy to make flavored water. Here's how:

First, if you have a water bottle, buy one of these:

This is a ice cube tray for water bottles, but no need to go out and buy a new one - they show up at thrift stores frequently. I paid 25c for mine. 

Then, fill it up with pureed fruit, fruit juice, etc. My Vitamix purees produce very finely, but if your blender or food processor is less powerful, you may wish to strain the mixture before freezing it. 

When the puree has frozen solid, you now have flavored "ice cubes" to add to your water:

Here, I have a strawberry puree ice cube in my bottled water (the water was left over from our daughter's open house; I normally drink tap water). As the ice cube melts, I just shake the bottle to distribute the flavoring evenly.

This tip isn't original to me, of course, but I'm passing it along in case someone out there hasn't tried it (and didn't realize how inexpensive ice cube trays for bottled waters are at thrift stores!)

No comments:

Post a Comment