Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thrifty Acres - wall art and Mary Randolph Carter

Hello! I purchased this pretty oil painting at Goodwill last year for two dollars:


I liked the colors and the way the flowers were arranged. The painting was signed by a Hank Jagt. Just for fun, I googled the name and learned that there's a professional by that name who makes Ontario, Canada his home. Same artist? Judging by the paintings I saw online, his style has evolved a lot, but then again, it was mentioned that he's been painting for some 40 years. I would say that's given him plenty of time to evolve!

There was a time when I would have thought that a picture would have to be framed, but then I saw otherwise in the Mary Randolph Carter Junk book series. There are four, in order of publication: American Junk, Garden Junk, Kitchen Junk and Big City Junk. They came out between 1994 to 2001 and are very fun to read. I should say "very fun to look at", because Ms. Carter's books are loaded with photos of her "junk" finds - including many painted canvases similar in flavor to the one I showed in this post. Of course, there's a  lot of other items to be seen as well - Ms. Carter glories in the rough-hewn, the kitschy, the chipped tableware - in short, the stuff others may have passed by. And by looking through her books, I was inspired to veer away from the rather stuffy and starched Victorian style I had been following up to that point. Instead, I began to adopt a more relaxed style of decorating (sometimes a little too relaxed!).

I own these books, but they may be available at your local library - I have seen at least one of them in the stacks at mine. Or you may get lucky and find them at a used book sale or thrift store somewhere! Any thrifter is sure to enjoy these volumes.

1 comment:

  1. Is that the painting Beauty knocked down that one time?

    ReplyDelete