Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thrifty Acres - Quimper pottery

While cruising the aisles at Goodwill one day last year, I came upon this pair:


I turned them over and saw that they were priced at 80 cents apiece. I also saw that they were made by Quimper, a well-known French pottery firm. There was also, for some reason, a 1983 calendar printed on the back of each tile. 

Being of French descent myself, I couldn't resist, plus I knew they'd look cute hanging up in my kitchen - and they do. 

A recent check on eBay showed a seller listing a similar pair for $19.99 for the set, so I think I got a pretty good deal. The seller also added that he had heard that these were blank tiles decorated by the Quimper pottery artists to be exchanged as Christmas presents with their co-workers - a nicer version of those generic calendars that businesses give away in December! 

2 comments: