Saturday, March 30, 2013

Job Jar - Month #3

Hello! Since I'll be doing Easter-ish stuff tomorrow, my job jar report for the month is being written up today. 

Out-of-town trips and other changes in scheduling limited the number of days and/or time spent on job jar tasks. Nevertheless, I did as much as I could, and actually some of the job jar tasks resulted in some serious cleaning. 

Take, for instance, the task entitled "clean and declutter basement shelves". When we moved into our house ten years ago, there were several metal shelves already in the basement. Of course, these were quickly filled up by us with extra pantry items, gardening supplies, kitchen equipment that doesn't get daily use, nuts, bolts, nails, etc etc. 

Although there's been additions and subtractions to what's on these shelving units over the years, they hadn't had a good cleaning/decluttering - until this month. Yes, it was a dirty job, and I'm not through with it yet, but it's nice to have a little more order down there. 

Another cleaning project involved the front staircase - doesn't sound like much work, but that staircase is so narrow that wielding a mop on it doesn't work. So yes, I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed away. 

I also did a very thorough cleaning of the upstairs - well, except for the messiest room of all, our daughter's bedroom. Do you think I can get her to help me clean it over her spring break? Stay tuned!

It wasn't all just a clean-a-thon around here, though. I did less intensive chores like decluttering, filing, repairing jewelry and mending clothing. 

I researched new volunteer opportunities, worked on the Comfort Doll project, wrote a letter to a relative and was mindful of giving out compliments. 

For fun and relaxation, I read a shelter book, worked on craft projects, wrote in my nature journal and listened to a relaxation CD. 

I also got out that paraffin wax kit again - as I'd mentioned the first time I used it, it had been a gift to my mom one year after she'd had similar treatments during physical therapy at her local hospital. She had raved about how nice those wax treatments had been, so I got her the Revlon Spa Luxury Paraffin Bath set. She never used it, so I claimed it after her death. 

You have to plan ahead when you want to use the kit, for it takes the wax up to 90 minutes to melt. But the results are worth it - baby-soft hands and feet! I don't know why my mom never used it - I think she was so used to doing for others, she didn't always get around to doing things for herself. 

But this is one advantage of the job jar system: as you can see, although I did plenty of good hard cleaning, I also did things for myself. A good balance, I'd say!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment