Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Adventures In Natural Homemaking #3: DIY Powdered Dishwasher Detergent

Hello! In my last post I mentioned I would explain the reason for buying citric acid in my next post. 

I wanted it for a DIY powdered dishwasher detergent "recipe". I was set to give the recipe here, but it's from a book that has one of those "don't share my stuff without asking me first" notices in the front.

I looked online and found a similar "recipe", which you can find here. The proportions are a bit different than what the formula I use has (mine calls for more citric acid and salt, for instance), but for all I know, maybe the version in the link is just fine as written. I suppose I could try it and see for myself!

Anyway, I've been using my book's DIY recipe for about six weeks now and have been happy with it thus far. I've tried other DIY dishwasher detergent recipes in the past and it seemed like they didn't have the cleaning power of commercial products. Even if it is better for the environment and cheaper besides, I'm not going to use a DIY detergent that doesn't work well.

I don't know why this version works better than the ones I'd tried before - not sure if the previous attempts included salt and baking soda. But I'm sure glad I found something that works well, is cheaper and is less toxic.

Oh, and the book I referred to: Essential Oils For A Clean And Healthy Home, Kasey Schwartz, author. I bought it discounted at Sam's Club. I've tried quite a few "recipes" from the book already and by and large they've been solid performers. But if you don't want to get this book, or others of this nature, similar content can be found online. It's just nice to have this sort of book on hand if you're getting into natural cleaning solutions and the like; it does save time on doing Internet searches. 

And you know, they say time is money, so I figured buying Scwartz's book would save me a lot of dough in the long run. I think it's probably close to paying for itself already!

No comments:

Post a Comment