Sunday, June 19, 2016

Get Carded: Father's Day 2016

Hello! My husband came home from a business trip a couple of months ago with an unused baggage claim sticker (or whatever it's called).  I set it aside to use in a card sometime. 

And just a few days ago, I came across old receipts from vacations while cleaning off his side of the coffee table. Thus, a travel theme was born for his Father's Day card this year:

There's a lot going on with this card, but as usual, I started with a white card stock. I added a stamped background in black ink.

Then I glued on various travel-related elements, listed here starting from the upper left corner and going clockwise:
  • receipt from parking garage near San Francisco's Chinatown, Dec. 2014 
  • ticket from cable car ride, same vacation
  • receipt from ticket purchase for ride on light rail, Baltimore, March 2015
  • ticket from above purchase
  • Southwest Airlines baggage claim sticker, April 2016
  •  ad from 1950's playbill
A few non-travel items were also affixed onto the card:
  • "Happy Father's Day" stamped in black ink onto vintage flashcard scrap, then cut out and placed on card
  • the ad was embellished by the word "volar" (Spanish for "to fly"), cut from a vintage flashcard. Of course, I glued this word above the airplane image in the ad.
  • I glued a vintage gray button (still attached to a scrap of fabric from the garment it had been sewn to) onto the ad to cover up a prominent reference to Tums. 
Lastly, I dabbed a bit of black ink onto the tickets and receipts just to mute things a bit.

A close-up of that ad:

Love it! I also love having a tidier coffee table for the time being (until he begins to clutter it up again). 

And my husband loves to travel, so he loved seeing the old tickets and receipts on his Father's Day card!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment