Sunday, July 19, 2015

Made It: Scrap Fabric Garland

Hello! We have a rather decrepit garage, which will be fixed up some day. But until that day comes, I hang decorative items on it to dress it up a bit. 

As seen in this post,  I had once crafted a garland to hang up along one side of the garage. However, time and my laziness in leaving it up all year round weren't kind to the garland, so I took it down. Time to make another one. 

Earlier this spring I purchased three yards of sisal for a craft project, but the project didn't turn out well and was abandoned. That sisal length was inexpensive, but I didn't want it go to waste. 

I realized I could use it to make another garland, and I had just the fabrics set aside for that would work: a pile of scraps left over from an ongoing quilt project. 

No sewing was involved - all I did was cut narrow strips of the fabric scraps and tied them tightly onto the sisal. Since I placed the knotted strips close enough to completely cover the sisal, it took some time to finish this project. I worked on it off and on over several weeks. 

It was a bit tedious, but it was fun to use a variety of fabric scraps, some of which were too narrow to work well in sewing projects. Quite a colorful collection though:

Had to stand back a ways to get the entire length of the garland, but here's a close-up of some of the fabrics that were used:

All in all, not a bad way to make use of some fabric scraps and a length of sisal first intended for another project. Anything to help our decrepit garage until we get around to improving its appearance!  

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment