I often make him cards with a green theme since that's his favorite color. But then I spied this wallet-sized card in an Italian cookbook I'd just brought home from a thrift store:
"Speak Italian in 10 minutes or less!" this handy-dandy card proclaims. I'm sure learning to speak Italian takes longer than that, but since my dad was born in Italy, my birthday card theme was launched:
- white card stock
- map of Italy from vintage world atlas, photocopied to reduced size
- Italian language card, photocopied to reduced size
- pictures of statues cut from a vintage travel guide for Rome
- words cut from vintage textbook about Europe
- "happy birthday" stamped in black ink on white card stock scrap and glued to card
The words "the island of Sicily" and "Sometimes it is said that 'Italy is kicking Sicily'" pay homage to my dad's roots; he is 100% Sicilian.
Close-up of the statues, the word "Milan" and the language card. My dad's roots are Sicilian, but he was actually born in Milan.
My dad does speak some Italian, but I don't think I've heard him say "Buon Compleanno", which is Italian for "Happy Birthday". Nevertheless, I enjoyed making this card for him, and I hope he likes it!