Wednesday, September 25, 2013

AAUW's Annual Used Book Sale Returns This Weekend

Hello! Perhaps you've seen the TV commercial in which a young woman perkily proclaims that a sale being run by an eyeglass chain is her favorite sale of the year. 

Now, I've worn glasses for most of my life, but I would never get that excited about an eyeglass sale! The notice in the local paper today about the upcoming annual AAUW used book sale is more to my liking. And I know I'm not alone - in years past, a line formed outside before the doors opened, and it can be a mob scene the first hour or two of the sale!

Prices are generally very good and with donations of reading material dropped off for months in advance of the sale, there's something for everyone. 

The details: the AAUW used book sale will be held at the Holland Civic Center. The sale opens this Friday, Sept. 27th, from 4-9, but for a $20 fee (non-refundable), shoppers can enter the sale at 3. 

The sale continues on Saturday the 28th, from 9-4. And starting at 12:30 that day, shoppers can fill a bag for $5.00. One may think there'd be nothing good left that late in the sale, but that's not the case, at least not in my experience. I'm currently using a fitness book I grabbed a few years back during the fill-a-bag time, and a Christmas cookbook I bought at last year's bag sale yielded a special recipe I liked so much that making it will likely become an annual holiday tradition. 

So, if you like to read and have some time to spare Friday evening or Saturday, go to the AAUW used book sale and see what you can find! Proceeds from the book sale go to local nonprofits and scholarships, so your purchase will help others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment