Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Job Jar - Month #4

Hello! With April waning, it's time for another job jar report. 

As had been the case in the previous three months, I did a fair amount of cleaning and decluttering - closets, bookshelves, the refrigerator and the shelving above the stove all got some attention from me. I also kept up on the filing. And I did a repair on a vintage embroidered piece that had developed a tear - like about three years ago. Yeah, it wasn't a huge deal, but it was nice to have the piece looking like new again. The embroidery had been done by one of my husband's now long-gone relatives, so there is some sentimental value. 

But the biggest decluttering task involved going through some studio supplies. I ended doing a very thorough job on this, working off and on for several days. Got rid of a lot of stuff!

When it wasn't raining, I went on some walks, tried a new workout, was mindful of giving out compliments, and researched new volunteer opportunities. I also distributed guerilla art again after a bit of a hiatus (I had to make some more mini art pieces to leave around).

To feed my creative side, I read craft books, did some crafts, worked on photography, brought in flowers from our backyard (daffodils), did watercolor painting and carved a rubber stamp. The last two crafts were done with the aid of kits I'd purchased years ago but hadn't used in quite some time. 

Actually, in the case of the hand-carved rubber stamp, I had only tried this craft once before. Hadn't like the results, so I just left the kit lying around in my studio. I figured if I made a job jar tag that said "carve a rubber stamp", then I would be forced to try another attempt. And that I did. This time, I found a helpful tutorial online, took my time, and got much better results. It ended up being a lot of fun!

Alas, there was one problem with the job jar system this month, though:  I drew the tag that instructed me to bake a cake. The problem? I had made some brownies a few days before then and there were still some left. I briefly pondered baking a cake anyway and freezing it for the next round of dessert, but decided against it. I just drew another tag instead.

Not a bad problem to have, though! Who knows, maybe I'll draw that "bake a cake" tag at a more opportune time in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment