Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Made It - Sew Simple Potholder

Hello! At one point last year, I noticed that my potholders were getting pretty ratty, so it was time to get some new ones. Unfortunately the ones I see at thrift stores are often on the ratty side too. I have plenty of fabric on hand, though, so I figured I could make my own. 

I studied various directions, from various sources - blogs, thrift store sewing patterns, craft books - there seemed to be no shortage of homemade versions of this basic kitchen necessity. I wanted something simple, so rejected quilted designs, as well as those calling for bias tape to bind the edges. I don't always have good luck with bias tape. 

I eventually settled on a potholder design based on a pair I'd seen highlighted in a magazine. They were made of vintage fabric and at $24.00/pair, quite pricy! But I liked the simple stitching and decided to try it myself. The three pairs I made have held up quite well. 

As none of the potholders I made then have a fall motif, I decided to make another pair of potholders today to match this season. I began by cutting four 8" squares of fabric (this was made easy by folding my fabric into fourths first, then cutting through all the layers at once). 

Now for the stuffing. I used a heat-resistant batting last year (bought locally at Field Fabrics) for some of the potholders. Also had experimented with using using fabrics and batting I already had on hand. I eventually decided that a "sandwich" of flannel and regular batting worked well too - one batting piece between two flannel pieces. (I have plenty of flannel from my late mother's fabric stash, so I wanted to find a way to use it.)

I had no heat-resistant batting on hand today, so used the flannel/batting "sandwich".

After sewing all the layers together (batting "sandwich" and the fabric
pieces) and leaving an opening for turning,  I turned everything right-side out. I top-stitched around the edge of the potholder, catching the seams from the open area as I did so. Further topstitching was done at the corners. I didn't add a loop, since I don't usually hang up my potholders. 

Here's how the first one turned out:

Yes, it looks a bit lumpy, I admit. I'd grabbed the first piece of batting I'd come across, and that batting, plus the flannel, made for a rather thick potholder. But it'll be fine. 

Besides, if I don't like it, I can always make another one! These take very little time to sew, and if thrifted supplies are used (fabric, batting), then these take very little money as well! 


No comments:

Post a Comment