Friday, October 19, 2012

Get Carded - Using Vintage Postcards

Hello! I troll the thrift stores in search of vintage items that I can use in my craft projects, and one of my favorite things to find is vintage postcards. Not only are they fun (older styles of clothes, cars, motels, and tourist traps) but they can be educational (scenes from places I've yet to visit). And at the thrift stores, vintage postcards are often very cheap as well. 

If I really like the scene on the postcard, I may hang it up for awhile just to admire, but for craft projects, I'll paint and/or stamp over it, or else leave unaltered, but inevitably it gets cut up to use in a greeting card or glued to some sort of wood base. 

However, two vintage postcards from Greenfield Village were left as is to adorn the front of a couple of greeting cards I made. These cards were sent to two women who happen to live in Dearborn, home of Greenfield Village, so I felt the postcards were appropriate. 

Here's what the two cards looked like:




Both cards were crafted the same way: white card stock, off-white art paper scraps, altered paper scraps (stamped and painted by me), vintage Greenfield Village postcards, and "remember when" printed twill tape.

The top card shows the Rose Cottage and the bottom card is a scene of the Loranger Gristmill. The postcards measured 3 1/2" by about 2 1/4", so they didn't need to be cut down for this use. They were part of a set of 20 Greenfield Village postcards. Judging from the clothes and hairtstyles of the people shown visiting the various sites within the village, I'd say these postcards date from sometime in the 1950's. 

And remember that I'd said vintage postcards are often very cheap at thrift stores? Well, the set of 20 Greenfield Village postcards was included in a bag of other vintage postcards from all over the US as Europe. I paid $2.00 - for a bag of almost 300 postcards. Needless to say, this find will last me awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment