Friday, November 25, 2011

Holidays - Christmas music

Hello! Thanksgiving is but just a day behind us, but the calendar says that Christmas will be here in one month. Therefore, I will strive to do a daily post each day leading up to Christmas Day - a big endeavor for this once-or-twice-a-week blogger, but I'll see how it goes. 

Got my Christmas CD collection out of the storage cabinet last night; here's the stack below:


The first nine CD's on top of the pile have been thrifted over the past few years, while the remaining were bought on sale. Of the thrifted music, my favorite last year was the very top CD, A Festival of Carols - Robert Shaw Chorale & Orchestra, which I got for a dollar. A lot of older songs, great singing and music and that budget-happy price: can't go wrong with this one! This was originally recorded in 1957 and 1963. 

Even older is the music of A Merry Christmas with Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, which I ordered at Amazon.com around 10 years ago. The songs on this CD were recorded between 1942 and 1955. I don't even recall now why I got this CD, but my daughter and I have enjoyed hearing it every year since. During the Christmas season, I often play it in the morning while she's up getting ready for school. Fun music. "How'd you like to spend Christmas on Christmas Island?" ("Christmas Island" was a huge seller for the Andrews Sisters when it was released!) 

A local radio station started its annual 24/7 Christmas music programming on Nov. 9th - a little early, I felt. Just out of general principle, I don't haul out my Christmas CD's until Thanksgiving Day is over. I love hearing Christmas music, but in season, please! 

2 comments:

  1. Last year I bought Bob the "Christmas Island" CD by Jimmy Buffett. It has that Andrews Sisters song on it. I love it and I didn't know it was one of their songs. I learned something new today, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, according to my CD, "Christmas Island" was recorded by the Andrews Sisters with Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians in 1946.

    I've heard the Jimmy Buffett cover and he does a great job!

    ReplyDelete