Sunday, August 28, 2016

Eats: A Big Batch Of Berry Cream Muffins

Hello! Do you need a big batch of muffins for a bake sale or a brunch? Or maybe you have room in your freezer and want to stash some extra muffins there.

If so, may I suggest Berry Cream Muffins? I baked them last night for a brunch party at a neighbor's this morning. They were easy to make and delicious. What more do you need in a muffin recipe? 

Berry Cream Muffins (adapted from clipped recipe attributed to a Linda Gilmore of Hampstead, Maryland, but I'm not sure of the source. It might be from a Taste Of Home publication.)

4 cups all-purpose flour (see notes below)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or blueberries (I used the latter)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream (see notes below)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 400. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add berries and toss lightly. In another mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until muffins test done. Yield: about 24 standard-size muffins.(see notes below)

Notes: I used half white wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. I used full-fat sour cream, but I'm sure these would be fine with reduced-fat sour cream as well. 

I filled my muffin cups two-thirds full (or maybe even a little fuller than that). After I'd filled my two dozen muffin cups, I still had batter left over. I'd read somewhere that it's okay to refrigerate muffin batters, so I tried that. I baked the rest of the muffin batter this morning, and thus I ended up with a total of 31 muffins. 

I'd consider that a big batch of berry muffins! And here's how they turned out:

I think these turned out great! They're not as sweet as some muffins are; with all those blueberries, who needs a ton of sugar? 

Some of the muffins went to the brunch party, and what was left went into our freezer. Win-win!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment