Sunday, December 20, 2015

Thrifty Acres: Vintage Christmas Pins

Hello! I've read articles in which vintage pins(the costume jewelry kind) are shown off. These pins are often collected by theme, such as flowers or Christmas trees. 

Well, I have a modest collection of pins with a vintage Christmas theme, as seen below:

A few close-ups to follow:

These two pins were half-off Christmas finds at a thrift store, so I paid a quarter for both. They're made of heavy plastic and are labeled as being made in Hong Kong. I'm guessing they're from the 1960's. The Santa is a pull toy in miniature; pull the red bell that dangles down and his arms, legs and eyes move. He holds a gold bell in one hand and a sign saying "Merry Christmas" in the other.

The Christmas tree pin mimics the collectible tree pins I mentioned at the beginning of my post, but the pricier pins aren't likely to be have been made of plastic as mine was. They're aren't likely to be priced under a quarter by savvy sellers either. But I actually like the fact that some company had made my cheapo version. It doesn't look like plastic and adds a bit of bling to my outfits when I wear it. 

The next two pins, though, are of the nicer costume variety type. I don't know how old they are, but they had belonged to my late mother-in-law. They're likely from either the 1950's or 1960's. They're both fun to wear. 

A deer holding a spring of holly and a pretty bow-and-bell combo.


The last pin is in the handmade category:

A small Christmas stocking made of felt, gold trim, sequins, beads, ribbon and a jingle bell. This pin was in a bag of assorted Christmas trims. I wouldn't have purchased it on its own, but I do have a fondness for vintage Christmas crafts, so I kept it. Even though it's small (barely 2 1/4" high), it would have taken its creator a little while to make. I wondered how many times it'd been worn before it ended up at a thrift store. Of course, I'll never know. 

Well, as I'd said, my vintage Christmas pin collection is modest, but it'll be easy and inexpensive to add to it as I see fit.







No comments:

Post a Comment