Sunday, December 7, 2014

Eats: Malted Coffee Creamer

Hello! I had a gift card to a coffee chain, so decided to use it the other day. Got sticker shock when I saw the prices of the specialty coffee drinks, so I selected some coffee beans instead. Figured I'd get better use of the gift card that way. 

And really, I didn't need a flavored coffee anyway since I already have a couple of syrup recipes that I use, as seen HERE.

However, I'm always on the lookout for more coffee flavorings, so awhile back I clipped a recipe for Malted Milk Creamer out of a magazine (not sure which one, but I think it was a specialty publication devoted to the South). Here's the recipe:

1 cup nondairy powdered creamer (see my notes following the recipe)
1 cup malted milk powder
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar (see my notes following the recipe)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in lidded container. To serve, stir one tablespoon creamer into 1 cup hot coffee. 

Notes: I don't use nondairy powdered creamer, so I just substitute powdered milk, using the same amount. And I use regular white sugar instead of powdered sugar. Why? Well, I normally use white sugar in my coffee, so I stick with that. But of course you can make the recipe as written. 

The creamer just looks like a white powder, but I took a picture of it anyway:

I don't have much left, so I put in a juice glass to show it off better. Next to it is a figure from my Scandinavian holiday collection; country unknown but the date 1968 is written on the bottom (thrift store purchase).

I really like this creamer; the malted milk powder seems to mellow the coffee nicely. It doesn't really change the taste of coffee, though, so if you wish to add some flavor, you could try adding cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Or why not use chocolate-flavored malted milk powder? I haven't done so but might for my next batch. 

The magazine suggested dividing the creamer into "gift jars of choice", and indeed, this would be a nice little present for a coffee lover.


No comments:

Post a Comment