Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello! Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating the holiday tomorrow! May you and yours have safe travels, wonderful food and much to be thankful for. 


I don't have a lot of Thanksgiving decorations, but above you see a vintage postcard I own, postmarked November 24th, 1908. The postmark reads "Sykesville", but I couldn't make out where that is. 

And due to the illegible nature of the sender's handwriting, I couldn't read where the postmark's destination was, nor could I decipher most of the greeting being sent. I did make out "...killed 10 big hogs" but that was about it. Sounds like a lot of ham though!

I love the close-up on one side of the postcard:

"Dec 22 1620 LANDING OF THE PURITANS" is written underneath the drawing of the Pilgrims arriving at Plymouth Rock, with their stalwart ship The Mayflower in the background. It's really very nice artistry, but is rather eclipsed by the turkey strutting its stuff! 

Oh well, it's still a nice postcard and has held up well for over 100 years.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment