Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Made It: DIY Stovetop Potpourri

Hello! It certainly is soup weather, so earlier today I started making one for dinner. Cabbage was one of the soup pot additions, and after awhile the house smelled of it - alas, not exactly a pleasant smell.  
My husband happens to be very sensitive to artificial scents, so air fresheners and scented candles are out. Instead, I turned to a quick DIY stovetop potpourri I'd seen written up a couple weeks ago on the Gardenista website. To make it, I purchased one grapefruit and a package of fresh rosemary from the produce section of our local Meijer. Fresh herbs are a luxury this time of year, but at least the grapefruit was from the reduced-price produce rack. 

Prep couldn't have been simpler: I filled a small saucepan with water (I used 2 1/2 cups, but this doesn't have to be measured), added two sprigs of fresh rosemary and some grapefruit peel. The author of the Gardenista article had also used part of a vanilla pod, but I didn't have any, so I omitted it. 

Here's my stovetop potpourri, as it simmers away:

Doesn't look like much, I know, but it's doing the trick - I now smell rosemary and grapefruit instead of cabbage. And I had the bonus of using the rest of the grapefruit for a smoothie. You can't do that with a scented candle!

If you'd like to read the Gardenista article on this potpourri, go HERE.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment