Monday, November 19, 2012

Eats - Ultra-Easy Pie Crust

Hello! Since my husband doesn't like pie, I rarely make one, and so I haven't had much practice in making pie crusts. Nevertheless, when we go to Thanksgiving Day dinner at my dad's, I'll be taking three homemade pumpkin pies with me. 
 
Will I have made my pies with  store-bought pie crust shells or with some of those pie crust sticks? No, indeed, I'll be using this ultra-easy recipe, which from Marcia Adams' Cooking From Quilt Country:

Pat-In-Pan Pie Crust

For a 9" pie:

1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cold milk

Place the flour, sugar and salt in the pie pan and mix with your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the pan, then across the bottom. Flute the edges. Shell is now ready to be filled. 

For 10" pie, use these amounts:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cold milk

Ms. Adams describes this pie crust as "quick, crisp and tender". I've used this recipe in the past and it's been well-received. One year my nephew, who loves pumpkin pie so much that he likes it instead of cake on his birthday, asked if I would make him a pumpkin pie for his next birthday. He said my pie crust was better than his mom's!

Note: since this recipe is not meant to be rolled out, it can't be used as a top crust. But it's perfect for pumpkin pie!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment