Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Vacation Post #4 - Random Shots

Hello! This will be my last vacation post and will cover a variety of places we visited.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, located in the charming downtown of Dublin, OH. Jeni's is a small chain based in nearby Columbus and is famous for unusual ice cream flavors. I was told I could select two flavors for my small-size cup order, so I got Queen City Cayenne (chocolate and cayenne pepper) and Salty Caramel - both were excellent. I first read of this chain on roadfood.com.

We bought some pretzel goodies from Snyder's of Hanover, PA. Factory tours are available, but not on the day we were there. 

A bit of a luxury hotel feel at a price we could afford: the atrium of the breakfast area in the Hunt Valley, MD Embassy Suites. 




 Andy Nelson's Barbeque, Cockeysville, MD. Again, a roadfood.com recommendation, and I really enjoyed my pulled pork sandwich.

The Joseph Priestley House museum, Northumberland, PA. Among other things, Priestley has been credited with discovering oxygen, but my husband, a chemical engineering professor, says that this credit may  be incorrect. Nevertheless, we wanted to tour the house, but when we got there, we learned that it's only open on the weekend. Sure enough, we later read in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette that the Priestley House was hosting an "Oxygen Day" two days after we left - bummer. Besides tours of the house, a reenactor was going to be on hand to portray Priestley. That would have been interesting. 





No visit to the Williamsport is complete without a stop to Purity Chocolates near Allenwood, PA. The candymakers were taking the day off, we were told, so I couldn't see any chocolates being dipped or peanut brittle being made, but I could see what they had made yesterday - cats, horses and pumpkins. 

A huge solid chocolate turkey awaits decoration - its tail will get decked out with autumn-colored sprinkles. As I've said before, bring this as a hostess gift and you will be invited back every Thanksgiving! 

Well, that's it for my vacation posts - hope you have enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed my vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment