Saturday, June 9, 2018

Thrifty Acres: Christmas In June Part One

Yeah, I know that "Christmas In July" is a thing, not "Christmas In June", but if you read my previous post, you know I bought a bunch of vintage Christmas magazines recently. 

I've been looking them over this past week - sometimes with approval, other times with horror. And the best examples of both emotions were found in this issue:

Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Ideas for 1962. There's enough of the good, the bad and ugly to get more than one post from this magazine!

In reference to the two ornaments shown above, the magazine asks "Do these look like anyone you know?" Thankfully, I can answer no. These  were made by decorating plain ornaments with various trims. Not a bad idea, but why these were supposed to look like actual people, I have no idea!

"This paper sculptured star can be made by anyone who can cut paper with scissors!" So I guess that means that I can make these, and that I may some time. 9"x12" construction is folded twice and cut. Several of these are stapled together to make a "star". 


Above, a large chicken wire cone is covered with tissue paper sections that have been poked through the holes. Not sure why pink, blue and white tissue papers were used. I guess I'm a traditionalist; I'd prefer to see something like this in shades of green. 

Now here's something I haven't seen before: a "tree" made by hanging tortillas on it. Tortillas are "corn-meal pancakes", we are informed, and they've been decorated with "red Mexican beans".


Okay, here's something I thought was bad. The poster board tree shapes aren't bad, although the blue one looks more like a rocket ship to me. Well, it was the "Space Age" after all. But the stick-like objects you see on each tree are Q-tips. Ugh. No. 


Another modern interpretation of a Christmas tree, but I like this better: triangle shapes of wood displayed on wooden dowels and spool bases. Blue and pink show up again though! 

This angel would take a lot of time to make: "angular swatches of self-adhesive cloth arranged in symbolic design of an angel". The background shown is black felt, but "Your background can be anything from felt or burlap to an old window shade". I'm not sure what "self-adhesive cloth" is, having never used it, but this is a project that looks like it could be worth the time. 

Skipping gears a bit, the next two photos show off handmade toys.

Small boxes are covered and decorated with adhesive-backed, plastic coated papers (another material I'm not familiar with) to resemble a family. A shoebox is decorated in a similar manner to look like a house. 

I think this is a cute idea, but small boxes and a shoebox - just how durable would this set be? I'd be inclined to use different sizes of wooden blocks for the family myself. 

Another less-than-sturdy toy:


A lion made from paper-covered cardboard. More Q-tips again: here, the tips have been dipped in paint. But really, another toy made of cardboard? How long before someone would have flattened that thing by accidentally stepping on it? 

So, I could see making this for fun, like on a rainy Saturday afternoon, but as a Christmas present? If I'm going to craft a toy, I'd want to make one that's going to last!

Two more photos for this post, both related to gift wrap ideas:



A gold metallic paper paint palette, colored ball "paints" and a gilded paint brush. Suggested for an artist friend. 

And for a music lover:


The gift is wrapped in old sheet music, with the use of balls again to form part of the notes. (The instructions don't say what the rest of the notes are made from; I assume some sort of black paper). 

All for now, but I'll be back in my next post to show off Part Two!



 








 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment