Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Get Carded: 2018 Valentines For Vets

Hello! With Valentine's Day being just one week from today, it's time to get this year's Valentines for Vets cards in the mail. As I've been doing for the past several years now, I made 24 valentines, wrote a short greeting inside, and bundled them up to go out in today's mail to a regional medical facility. It didn't take much time or effort on my part, and I'd like to think it's a nice way to show 24 vets that I appreciate their service to our country. 

Here's a sample of what's going out in the mail:

And a close-up of one of the cards:

Materials used in the above card:

  • White card stock
  • Border cut from 1890's sheet music
  • Heart cut from scrapbook paper
  • rectangle cut from decorator-weight fabric
  • "Love" stamped in red ink on card stock scrap
  • Fabric and "Love" paper piece affixed to card with foam sticky-back pieces; the foam gives the card a bit of dimension
The border was cut using a scrapbook tool, Borderlines (made by Creative Memories). I found a set of these recently at a thrift store for a dollar. I'm not a scrapbooker myself but have learned that many supplies produced for that craft work well in other paper-based projects. 

I almost didn't buy the set because I thought even a dollar was too much for what's merely thin plastic shapes. But then I saw a current Amazon listing, asking almost $15.00 for a set of three out of the four I came across at the thrift store. So I realized a buck for four was a good deal after all!

The cards I made varied a little, in regards to the fabric scraps and decorative papers used for the hearts. But all had the sheet music border design and "Love".

And all are being sent with gratitude to the veterans.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment