Saturday, July 8, 2017

Get Carded: One Late, One Early, One On Time

Hello! I enjoy making greeting cards, so was happy to do so for three recent occasions.

In order of their appearance, first the late card. We were out of town on Father's Day, so we celebrated it instead on the following Sunday. Here's the card I made for my husband:

Materials used:
  • white card stock
  • vintage car ad from 1962 Reader's Digest
  • Man image cut from 1978 Sears catalogue
  • "for a dad on the go" words cut from various vintage magazines and dictionaries
  • pale gold trim glued on top
My husband used to collect old Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth cars, though the oldest one he ever owned was a '63 (back around 1980). And he used to have a hairstyle in 1978 similar to the young man's on the card

Perhaps because of these images, he loved his card. 

Our daughter  moved to Indiana last month to begin grad school at Purdue. We went down there to visit over the long 4th of July weekend. Her birthday would happen a few days after our return home, so we celebrated the occasion while there. 

Her birthday card:

Materials used:
  • white card stock
  • page from a 1940's-era chemistry textbook
  • scrap from handout pertaining to a chemistry building at Purdue, artificially aged by me with rubber stamp ink
  • woman image cut from early 1960's Reader's Digest ad (in the ad, the woman was looking on with delight at her new TV)
  • "22" cut from vintage Bingo card (the age our daughter was turning)
  • "Happy Birthday To You" stamped in blue ink onto paint sample scrap
  • leather scrap accented with eyelet (from vintage eyelet-setting kit found at rummage sale
Our daughter loved her card as well. She recognized the "aged" scrap as pertaining to one of the chemistry buildings on campus, and I reminded her that the page from the vintage chemistry textbook had also come from Purdue. When we'd helped her move into her apartment last month, we went to her end of campus so she could check in at her department office. While there, I noticed the "free" table out in the hallway near the office, and that's where I grabbed that textbook, along with a few other vintage odds and ends. (I scrounge everywhere I go!)

Now for the on-time card. As I'd mentioned, we went down to visit our daughter over the 4th of July holiday. True, she had a few days off, but had been very busy at work before then, plus had been setting up her apartment during her scant free time (she's had to work on Saturdays). 

I know from personal experience that it can be trying to have house guests when you're still in the process of settling in your new living quarters (not that it kept us from asking if we could stay there anyway, as it would save us on hotel costs). Nevertheless, she was a good hostess, and I wanted her to know that we appreciated her efforts. 

So I made her a thank you card:

Materials used:
  • white card stock
  • scrap from vintage cookbook page
  • scrap from 1880's ledger paper, altered with stencil and purple acrylic paint
  • scrap from vintage cookbook page
  • "M" stamped in black ink, then colored in with purple marker (her name begins with that letter)
  • "thank you very much" stamped in purple ink
  • flower shapes punched out from vintage cookbook page
    (used to cover up some stray ink marks made while stamping the saying)
I chose purple because that's her favorite color, and she's fond of animal prints; hence the zebra-stripe stencil design. 

We called her last night for her birthday and she said she'd gotten this card. She was pleased, but told me it hadn't been necessary to send it. 

I replied that I knew that, but I wanted to let her know that we hadn't taken her hosting efforts for granted.

Besides, I do enjoy making cards!



 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment