Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Eats: Microwave Apple Crisp For One

Hello! It was chilly and overcast when I got up this morning, a far cry from the summer-like weather we'd had recently. It looked like a comfort-food morning to me, so I decided to try a recipe for a single serving of apple crisp. I would make it less sweet than how the recipe was written, and it would serve as my breakfast. It was so quick to prepare and cook that it was done by the time the coffee was finished brewing!

Microwave Apple Crisp For One(adapted from unknown source; possibly  a Taste Of Home magazine)

1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar (see notes after recipe)
2 tablespoons quick-cooking oatmeal
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (see notes after recipe)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cold butter or margarine (see notes after recipe)

Place prepared apple in small microwave-safe bowl. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 1/2 minutes or until fruit is tender. (see notes after recipe). Yield: 1 serving. Editor's Note: this recipe was tested in a 700-watt microwave. It can also be baked at 375 for 25-30 minutes. 

Notes: I used about half the specified amount of brown sugar, and it was plenty sweet. I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, and used butter.

Small bowls are all you need for this recipe! For cooking, I put the apple/topping mixture in a single-serving casserole dish (I greased the dish first). I mixed the topping in a small cereal bowl, using my fingers to cut in the butter. 

Our microwave has 1,200 watts, a far cry from the 700 watt oven used to test the recipe. Instead of guessing as to how much less time I should cook my mini apple crisp for, I found this information on the Internet. Thus, I could determine that I should set the cooking time for 1:28.

And that I did, although I found I still needed a bit more cooking time after that. I was starting with a rather hard apple, so that's probably why I needed an extra 20 seconds. 

Here's how my apple crisp for one turned out:

I wouldn't eat something like this for breakfast all the time, but it was perfect for today's weather! Slightly sweet even with the reduced amount of brown sugar, but still very good. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment