Sunday, February 22, 2015

Eats: Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Syrup For Coffee

Hello! When I was a kid, my parents refused to buy Pop-Tarts, so I only had them when I was at friends' houses. I particularly fancied the ones with a brown sugar-cinnamon filling. 

So when I recently came across a recipe for a homemade coffee flavoring syrup that featured these two ingredients, I made tracks for my kitchen to try it for myself. It was very easy to prepare, as you'll see below:

Cinnamon-Brown Sugar Syrup (recipe from Jessica Merchant of the blog How Sweet It Is)

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup water

Combine the sugar, cinnamon and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbling. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in a jar. 

And that's it. I didn't take a picture of the finished product because, well, it just looks like a dark brown liquid. But it does taste a little like my beloved brown sugar-cinnamon Pop-Tarts of yore. It made a nice addition to my coffee. 

You'll notice that the recipe doesn't give a big yield, but I see no reason why it couldn't be doubled if so desired. 

As for those brown sugar-cinnamon Pop-Tarts? As an adult, I could eat them every day if I wanted to - but to my grown-up palate, they don't taste very good! I think I'll stick to this cinnamon-brown sugar syrup recipe for a taste-alike flavored coffee version. 

If you'd like to see more of Jessica Merchant's blog, it can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment