Hello! Anyone who sews tend to collect fabric scraps left over from projects. Even so, when the remnant pile at a fabric store beckons, or the bagged pieces at a thrift store or estate sale call one's name, it's easy to give in to more fabric.
Earlier this spring I used very small fabric scraps in a decorative wreath, seen HERE, but I still had more scraps, of course. While doing some decluttering yesterday I came across a simple fabric scrap project for making bookmarks; I had clipped the instructions from a magazine (don't recall which one now). Decided it was worth a try.
I'll give the directions, then explain how I changed them to suit myself.
Scrappy Bookmarks (adapted from a project submitted by Jackie Jones of Manhattan, Montana)
Sew fabric scraps into a 2"x8" rectangle. Layer it, right sides together, with a same-size backing fabric rectangle, and top with a same-size piece of batting. Pin together and sew around the pieces a scant 1/4" from the edges, leaving an opening for turning along one edge. Clip corners, turn right side out. Press and topstitch around the entire bookmark a scant 1/4" from the edges.
Notes: The first time, I followed the directions to the letter, but felt that the batting layer made the bookmark a bit too bulky. So I decided to try it again, this time eliminating the batting. Not only did this make the project even quicker, but it made the bookmark easier to sew as well. I then threaded ribbon in a large needle and pulled it through the bookmark to make two even lengths. I knotted these together to make a "tail".
I ended up making two bookmarks for now:
Close-up of some of the fabrics used:
I've had that blue floral print fabric for over 25 years now, and it was old when I bought it at a garage sale. It dates from the 1930's or 1940's, I believe. Because of its age, I've kept its scraps. Some of them went into that wreath, but I was happy to find a use for one more piece of that vintage fabric.
Since I eventually opted out of using batting, the bookmarks are a bit floppy, but still do their job of keeping place in a book just fine. Still, it might not be a bad idea to add some fusible web for body in between. Will try that out another time!