Sunday, February 9, 2014

Thrifty Acres: A Bit Of Beatlemania

Hello! As has been widely reported lately, today is the 50th year anniversary of the night the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. According to a story about this event that I read in today's Parade magazine, as the show's musical director watched the Beatles perform, he predicted: "I give them a year". 

Of course, he couldn't have been more wrong. The Beatles' popularity and influence continues to this day, long after they disbanded. And in honor of the band I will present the bit of Beatles memorabilia that I have. 

Found this set at a church rummage sale a few years back and paid a dime for it:

Images of the Fab Four in cardboard, with matching plastic molds. 

Close-ups:

Paul McCartney and John Lennon

Ringo Starr and George Harrison

.
Above, I've placed the cardboard Paul McCartney figure behind the corresponding plastic mold. 

When I first bought these I turned to eBay to see what I could learn about this set. I didn't find any listings, but a few days decided to search eBay again. This time, I found a listing describing these as candy molds.

That just didn't sound right to me, so I tried the Internet, and came up with this site. If you scroll down to the "Yellow Submarine Plastic Model Kit" and click on the photo showing the kit's contents, you'll see what looks like the mates to my set there.

Through my Internet research, I also learned that the Yellow Submarine Model Kit has been reissued. I'm fairly certain that my Fab Four are from an original kit, though, as the cardboard pieces show a bit of wear. 

I couldn't find enough information on the original kit to learn what material had been used to fill the molds, but I'm guessing it probably wasn't chocolate. Not sure if the molds are even food-grade. 

Well, that's it for my Beatles memorabilia find. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some more Beatles stuff at another rummage sale sometime!



No comments:

Post a Comment