Sunday, January 15, 2012

Made It - Angel of Hope

Hello! Recently we got the unfortunate news that a relative on my husband's side of the family had been diagnosed with breast cancer. We don't live close enough to drop off the proverbial casserole dish or help with the kids, so what to do? I wanted to make something and get it out quickly so that the recipient would know we're thinking of her and praying for her. Our daughter suggested an angel - perfect! So I designed a small angel with a hanger so that the relative could hang it up on a bedpost, doorknob, etc. She could then see it and know that she's in our thoughts. Here's what I came up with:

I began with a simple angel shape. The back is fabric with a pink print, and the front is a rather heavy off-white fabric with raised off-white stitching on it. With dark pink embroidery floss, I embroidered running stitches to accent the off-white stitching. 

For a "hat", I glued a scrap of vintage off-white crochet trim and a vintage dark pink button to the angel's head. I sewed on two white beads for eyes. 

The bottom of the angel's body is trimmed with vintage pink crochet trim.


I glued a small fabric heart to the middle of the body; it's the same fabric that was used for the back. 

The heart covers the ends of an assortment of off-white and pink fibers (both vintage and non-vintage). Additionally, I stamped the word "hope" on a piece of twill tape and added that to the fiber grouping. 

Lastly, I used silver cording as a hanger on the back of the angel. 

I think it turned out pretty well! The only fault I see is that the angel shape isn't the greatest - that is in part because of the stiffness of that off-white fabric; it's too heavy to shape very well apparently. But I liked using that fabric because its raised stitching design allowed for some easy yet interesting accent stitching. 

I haven't heard that the recipient received it, but I'm assuming she did and I hope she was pleased with her Angel of Hope! Although I would have rather have not had to make something like this under the circumstances, I was glad to come up with something meaningful for her.  

2 comments:

  1. I think the angel turned out lovely. What a nice way to let your relative know she is in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete