Monday, September 8, 2014

Get Carded: Glad And Sad

Hello! Two very different occasions recently that warranted greeting cards: a wedding anniversary and a death in the family. 

First, the "glad" card:

Materials used:
  • white card stock
  • piece of vintage sheet music (probably from the 1940's)
  • images cut from 1950's sewing patterns
  • numbers cut from 1950's math game
  • cream acrylic paint
  • dots stamped in black and green StazOn inks
I thought the phrase on the sheet music was appropriate for the occasion:

"remember the sweet" is good advice for an "old married couple" like us - yes, my husband and I were the ones celebrating the wedding anniversary. Number 31, of course!

But a few days after that occasion came the reason for the "sad" card, the death of a sister-in-law's mother. I typically strive for a simple, tasteful sympathy card, and I think I succeeded with this:


Materials used:
  • white card stock
  • piece of 1880's ledger paper, altered with gold glitter glue
  • flower shape cut from purplish-pink art paper
  • flower center cut from gold art paper
  • thin purple cording
  • heart shape cut from purple card stock
  • gold art paper 
  • saying stamped in black StazOn ink on white card stock scrap
Words can be hard to express in a sympathy card, but I think the sentence on the rubber stamp is perfect: "May all your precious memories help bring you peace and comfort through all the days ahead."

I will, of course, add some expressions of sympathy of my own before I mail the card out. Rubber stamps are great for adding words to a handmade greeting card, but there's no substitute for the handwritten word.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment