Friday, August 19, 2011

Thrifty Acres - kitchen window display

Hello! Interesting thrift store purchases have been in short supply lately, so for this post I'm offering up the display on the windowsill above our kitchen sink:

 From left to right:

Egg cup. small egg cup with beaded fruit piece, strawberry-shaped salt shaker, small egg cup with bead fruit piece, painted wood egg cup,baby chick-shaped salt shaker, nesting set of goose-shaped measuring cups with beaded fruit piece on topmost cup, vintage handkerchief with "Our Dutch Cousins" printed on the bottom, baby chick-shaped pepper shaker,painted wood egg cup, small egg cup with beaded fruit piece, strawberry-shaped pepper shaker, small egg cup with bead fruit piece and small honey pot/jam jar. 

Now for some info on what you saw above:


The large egg cup, smaller egg cups and honey pot/jam jar were a set I purchased for $4.00 at a garage sale run by an antiques dealer. The bottom of the large egg cup says "Japan". I'm guessing these are from the 1950's. 


I made the beaded fruit pieces by coating small plastic fruit with craft glue and then sprinkling microfine beads on top. I got the beads at American Science and Surplus. 


The strawberry salt and pepper shakers, for some reason, were priced separately for 20 cents apiece. They're quite small - only about 1 3/4" high. I was quite shocked to learn that a similar pair was listed at $19.99 on eBay. I have no idea why! They might be from the 1950's.


The painted wooden egg cups (painted to look like a man and a woman) were purchased for 25c for the pair at a church rummage sale in Douglas, WY last summer. I wouldn't have thought of eating a boiled egg out of a wooden egg cup, but these were too cute to pass up! I don't know exactly where they're from, but some Internet research points to maybe Italy or Germany. Not sure of their age.


The baby chick salt and pepper shaker set is only about 10 years old - I got it as a gift from my mother. 


I bought the nesting set of goose-shaped measuring cups at Goodwill a few years back for $2.00. They're made of hard plastic and might be from the 1960's. These are listing from around $6.00 on up on eBay ("up" as high as $24.99).


The vintage handkerchief had been my mother-in-law's and was given to me after she died. She wasn't Dutch (nor am I), but I live in a town founded by Dutch immigrants,so the Dutch theme is good. Love the colorful design too!


Well, I think that's it for my display. I really don't have room to fit any new finds on the windowsill, but I like what I have up there!


2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Especially that Dutch hanky.

    I've just started collecting egg cup holders, and just small plain ones.

    I tend to be extremely boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy! And judging from your blog, I don't think you "tend to be extremely boring" at all!

    ReplyDelete