Thursday, August 7, 2014

Eats: Mustard Dip

Tired of chips and dip? Rather have pretzels but like the added flavor of a dip? Then try the following, clipped from a community cookbook (don't recall its name)


Mustard Dip

1 cup sour cream 
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup dried chopped onions
1 package ranch dressing mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon horseradish

Mix all together in bowl. Serve with pretzels. Cookbook editor's notes: Try this with veggies, pita chips. Tostitos, or even as a sandwich spread. Keeps well in the fridge. This is addictive!

My notes: low-fat versions of sour cream and mayonnaise are fine. 
Although I've made this recipe with the specified yellow mustard, I didn't have it on hand when I reached for this recipe a few days ago. Did I wait until my next trip to the grocery store to pick up some yellow mustard? No, I just used the mustard I had in my refrigerator, which is a store brand labeled "Hot and Sweet". Since I like spicy foods, I actually liked the dip better with this change. (it's still fine with yellow mustard though). 

Here's what the dip looks like:

It looks more yellow when yellow mustard is used, of course. My Hot and Sweet mustard has an orange-ish tinge to it, so the dip does as well. 

I've only used the dip for pretzels, despite the cookbook editor's suggestions for enhancing other foods with it. However, I agree with that editor's assessment that the dip is addictive. Therefore, I only make it occasionally, and when I do, I just make half a recipe at a time. But since I'd brought a bag of pretzels back from Pennsylvania...well, that was a good enough reason for making it again!

And if you try this recipe, you may very well find yourself making it again as well. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment